Main Article Content
Background: Infectious complications in spinal cord injury (SCI) patients can increase the mortality and morbidity of the patients. The inability to do daily activity is the main cause of the occurrence of infectious complications. Good understanding and high awareness are needed to notice some infectious complications which are difficult to be diagnosed.
Method: This paper is a literature review which was done by reviewing and searching journals with “infectious complication”, “spinal cord injury”, “infection” on the search engines. The authors found 52 articles are suitable to be composed as references for this paper.
Outcome: Several infectious complications may occur following the incidence of SCI and have a lot of disadvantages. The causes of these infections are multifactorial. Urinary tract infection, infected pressure ulcer, pneumonia, and some other infectious diseases may appear as complications. Extra care in hygiene and sanitation is needed, besides, high awareness is needed to discover these complications.
Conclusion: Monitoring post-SCI complications are complex and difficult. A high level of suspicion should be raised with frequent aseptic actions and procedures. Appropriate management including non-surgical or surgical procedures can be chosen to achieve the best outcomes. Early diagnosis and management are critical for the best treatment results.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Mahadewa, TGB, Maliawan, S. Clinical aspect and management therapy in spinal cord. Udayana University Press. 2009.
- Wyndaele M, Wyndaele JJ. Incidence, prevalence and epidemiology of spinal cord injury: what learns a worldwide literature survey? Spinal Cord. 2006;44(9):523-9. DOI: 10.1038/sj.sc.3101893
- Blair JA, Patzkowski JC, Schoenfeld AJ, et al. Spinal column injuries among Americans in the global war on terrorism. JBJS. 2012;94(18):e135(1-9). DOI: 10.2106/JBJS.K.00502
- White NH, Black NH. Spinal cord injury (SCI) facts and figures at a glance. Birmingham: National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, Facts and Figures at a Glance. 2016.
- Kirshblum SC, Burns SP, Biering-Sorensen F, et al. International standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury (revised 2011). The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2011;34(6):535-46. DOI: 10.1179/2045772314Y.0000000196
- Evans CT, LaVela SL, Weaver FM, et al. Epidemiology of hospital-acquired infections in veterans with spinal cord injury and disorder. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2008;29(3):234-42. DOI: 10.1086/527509
- Stanley-Ketting O, Mahadewa T, Maliawan S. Elevation of serum C-reactive protein as a predictor for systemic inflammatory response syndrome in cervical spinal cord injury patients. Bali Medical Journal. 2013;2(2):69-71.
- Abbasi F, Korooni S. Infectious complications after spinal cord injury. Essentials of Spinal Cord Injury Medicine. 2018;13:91. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.72783
- Montgomerie JZ. Infections in patients with spinal cord injuries. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 1997;25(6):1285-90.
- Lalwani S, Punia P, Mathur P, et al. Hospital acquired infections: preventable cause of mortality in spinal cord injury patients. Journal of Laboratory Physicians. 2014;6(1):36-9. DOI: 10.4103/0974-2727.129089
- Hoff JM, Bjerke LW, Gravem PE, et al. Pressure ulcers after spinal cord injury. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2012;132(7):838-9. DOI: 10.4045/tidsskr.10.0878
- Sachdeva D, Singh D, Loomba P, et al. Assessment of surgical risk factors in the development of ventilator-associated pneumonia in neurosurgical intensive care unit patients: Alarming observations. Neurology India. 2017;65(4):779-84. DOI: 10.4103/neuroindia.NI_814_16
- Chacko R, Rajan A, Lionel P, et al. Oral decontamination techniques and ventilator-associated pneumonia. British Journal of Nursing. 2017;26(11):594-9. DOI: 10.12968/bjon.2017.26.11.594
- Adrie C, Garrouste-Orgeas M, Essaied WI, et al. Attributable mortality of ICU-acquired bloodstream infections: impact of the source, causative micro-organism, resistance profile and antimicrobial therapy. Journal of Infection. 2017;74(2):131-41. DOI: 10.1016/j.jinf.2016.11.001
- Shindo Y, Hasegawa Y. Regional differences in antibiotic‐resistant pathogens in patients with pneumonia: Implications for clinicians. Respirology. 2017;22(8):1536-46. DOI: 10.1111/resp.13135
- Stein DM, Menaker J, McQuillan K, et al. Risk factors for organ dysfunction and failure in patients with acute traumatic cervical spinal cord injury. Neurocritical Care. 2010;13(1):29-39. DOI: 10.1177/0885066611403270
- Altinors N. Analysis of serum pro-inflammatory cytokine levels after rat spinal cord ischemia/reperfusion injury and correlation with tissue damage. Turkish Neurosurgery. 2009;19(4):353-9.
- Anthony DC, Couch Y. The systemic response to CNS injury. Experimental Neurology. 2014;258:105-11.
- Bao F, Bailey CS, Gurr KR, et al. Increased oxidative activity in human blood neutrophils and monocytes after spinal cord injury. Experimental Neurology. 2009;215(2):308-16. DOI: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2008.10.022
- Kopp MA, Druschel C, Meisel C, et al. The SCIentinel study-prospective multicenter study to define the spinal cord injury-induced immune depression syndrome (SCI-IDS)-study protocol and interim feasibility data. BMC Neurology. 2013;13(1):168. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2377-13-168
- Lucin KM, Sanders VM, Jones TB, et al. Impaired antibody synthesis after spinal cord injury is level dependent and is due to sympathetic nervous system dysregulation. Experimental Neurology. 2007;207(1):75-84.
- Schwab JM, Zhang Y, Kopp MA, et al. The paradox of chronic neuroinflammation, systemic immune suppression, autoimmunity after traumatic chronic spinal cord injury. Experimental Neurology. 2014;258:121-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2007.05.019
- Popovich P, McTigue D. Damage control in the nervous system: beware the immune system in spinal cord injury. Nature Medicine. 2009;15(7):736-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2014.04.023
- Brommer B, Engel O, Kopp MA, et al. Spinal cord injury-induced immune deficiency syndrome enhances infection susceptibility dependent on lesion level. Brain. 2016;139(3):692-707. DOI: 10.1093/brain/awv375
- Riegger T, Conrad S, Schluesener HJ, et al. Immune depression syndrome following human spinal cord injury (SCI): a pilot study. Neuroscience. 2009;158(3):1194-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2008.08.021
- Garcia-Arguello LY, O'Horo JC, Farrell A, et al. Infections in the spinal cord-injured population: A systematic review. Spinal Cord. 2017;55(6):526-34. DOI: 10.1038/sc.2016.173
- Meisel C, Volk HD. Mechanisms of immunodepression after central nervous system injury. In: Mechanisms of Sepsis-Induced Organ Dysfunction and Recovery. Springer: Berlin, Heidelberg. 2007, pp. 335-50.
- Horst M, Heutschi J, Van Den Brand R, et al. Multisystem neuroprosthetic training improves bladder function after severe spinal cord injury. The Journal of Urology. 2013;189(2):747-53. DOI: 10.1016/j.juro.2012.08.200
- Cameron AP, Rodriguez GM, Schomer KG. Systematic review of urological followup after spinal cord injury. The Journal of Urology. 2012;187(2):391-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.juro.2011.10.020
- Tofte N, Nielsen AC, Trøstrup H, et al. Chronic urinary tract infections in patients with spinal cord lesions–biofilm infection with need for long‐term antibiotic treatment. Apmis. 2017;125(4):385-91. DOI: 10.1111/apm.12685
- Karthik L, Kumar G, Keswani T, et al. Protease inhibitors from marine actinobacteria as a potential source for antimalarial compound. PloS One. 2014;9(3):e90972. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0090972
- Massa LM, Hoffman JM, Cardenas DD. Validity, accuracy, and predictive value of urinary tract infection signs and symptoms in individuals with spinal cord injury on intermittent catheterization. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2009;32(5):568-73. DOI: 10.1080/10790268.2009.11754562
- Moola S, Konno R. A systematic review of the management of short-term indwelling urethral catheters to prevent urinary tract infections. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports. 2010;8(17):695-729. DOI: 10.11124/01938924-201008170-00001
- Ronco E, Denys P, Bernède-Bauduin C, Laffont I, et al. Diagnostic criteria of urinary tract infection in male patients with spinal cord injury. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2011;25(4):351-8. DOI: 10.1177/1545968310383432
- Tenke P, Kovacs B, Johansen TE, et al. European and Asian guidelines on management and prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2008;31:68-78. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2007.07.033
- Nicolle LE. Catheter-related urinary tract infection. Drugs & Aging. 2005;22(8):627-39. DOI: 10.2165/00002512-200522080-00001
- Sunn G. Spinal cord injury pressure ulcer treatment: An experience-based approach. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics. 2014;25(3):671-80. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmr.2014.05.002
- Kruger EA, Pires M, Ngann Y, et al. Comprehensive management of pressure ulcers in spinal cord injury: Current concepts and future trends. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2013;36(6):572-85. DOI: 10.1179/2045772313Y.0000000093
- Pazhouh FK, Parvaz N, Borojeni HR, et al. Prevention of pressure ulcers in spinal cord injury. Journal of Injury and Violence Research. 2012;4(3 Suppl 1):90.
- Salzberg CA, Byrne DW, Cayten CG, et al. A new pressure ulcer risk assessment scale for individuals with spinal cord injury. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 1996;75(2):96-104. DOI: 10.1097/00002060-199603000-00004
- Han ZA, Choi JY, Ko YJ. Dermatological problems following spinal cord injury in Korean patients. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2015;38(1):63-7. DOI: 10.1179/2045772313Y.0000000154
- Tollefsen E, Fondenes O. Respiratory complications associated with spinal cord injury. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2012;132(9):1111-4. DOI: 10.4045/tidsskr.10.0922
- Veeravagu A, Jiang B, Rincon F, et al. Acute respiratory distress syndrome and acute lung injury in patients with vertebral column fracture (s) and spinal cord injury: A nationwide inpatient sample study. Spinal Cord. 2013;51(6):461-5. DOI: 10.1038/sc.2013.16
- Yong T, Lili Y, Wen Y, et al. Pulmonary edema and hemorrhage, possible causes of pulmonary infection and respiratory failure in the early stage of lower spinal cord injury. Medical Hypotheses. 2012;79(3):299-301. DOI: 10.1016/j.mehy.2012.05.013
- Garshick E, Stolzmann KL, Gagnon DR, et al. Systemic inflammation and reduced pulmonary function in chronic spinal cord injury. PM R. 2011;3(5):433-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2011.02.003
- Bao F, Brown A, Dekaban GA, et al. CD11d integrin blockade reduces the systemic inflammatory response syndrome after spinal cord injury. Experimental Neurology. 2011;231(2):272-83. DOI: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2011.07.001
- Guo L, Li G, Wang J, et al. Suspicious outbreak of ventilator-associated pneumonia caused by Burkholderia cepacia in a surgical intensive care unit. American Journal of Infection Control. 2017;45(6):660-6. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.01.024
- Saliba M, Saadeh D, Bouchand F, et al. Outcome of bloodstream infections among spinal cord injury patients and impact of multidrug-resistant organisms. Spinal Cord. 2017;55(2):148-54. DOI: 10.1038/sc.2016.176
- Andrianasolo J, Ferry T, Boucher F, et al. Pressure ulcer-related pelvic osteomyelitis: evaluation of a two-stage surgical strategy (debridement, negative pressure therapy and flap coverage) with prolonged antimicrobial therapy. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2018;18(1):166. DOI: 10.1186/s12879-018-3076-y
- Nolan J, Meregawa P.F. The role of serum procalcitonin in establishing diagnosis of bone and joint infections. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics. 2020;5(1):16-21. DOI: 10.13107/jcorth.2020.v05i01.302
- Brunel AS, Lamy B, Cyteval C, et al. Diagnosing pelvic osteomyelitis beneath pressure ulcers in spinal cord injured patients: A prospective study. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2016;22(3):267-e1. DOI: 10.1016/j.cmi.2015.11.005
- Goldman RJ. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for wound healing and limb salvage: A systematic review. PM R. 2009;1(5):471-89. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2009.03.012