Main Article Content
Background: This study aimed to prove that administration of UltraMimi Kids® UHT milk by PT. Ultrajaya Milk Industry increased body weight and estrogen levels in female albino rat (Rattus norvegicus) Wistar strain.
Methods: This research was a true experimental with randomized pretest-posttest control group design. The research subjects were 18-female-albino-rats aged 21-days, weight 25-28 grams, divided into 2-groups: control group which was given standard food and sugar solution (0.36 grams of sugar dissolved in 1 ml aquadest), and intervention group which was given standard food and UltraMimi Kids® UHT milk 1 ml for the first 14-days and upgraded to 2 ml for the rest 14-days, given three times a day for 28-days. The rats body weight and estrogen levels were measured using Tanita-KD-192-digital-scales and ELISA method.
Results: The control group had an increased body weight (26.2±1.2-66.1±5.94 grams; p<0,001), but there was no change in estrogen levels (38.59±11.19-44.59±5.42 ng/L; p=0.217). Whereas, the intervention group had an increased body weight (25.77±0.83-85.33±10.24 grams; p=0.008), but there was no change in estrogen levels (39.91±3.73-42.66±2.24 ng/L; p=0.066). After 28-days of intervention (posttest), it was found that the mean of body weight in the intervention group was higher than the control group (p<0.001), there was no significant difference in estrogen levels (p=0.339) and food intake from the remaining feed in both groups (0.51±0.81-0.36±0.55 grams; p=0.823).
Conclusion: The administration of UltraMimi Kids® UHT milk by PT. Ultrajaya Milk Industry increased body weight and did not increase estrogen hormone level in female albino rat (Rattus norvegicus) Wistar strain.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Depkes. Inilah perbedaan “4 sehat 5 sempurna” dengan ’gizi seimbang [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Feb 5]. Available from: https://www.depkes.go.id/article/print/16051300001/inilah-perbedaan-4-sehat-5-sempurna-dengan-gizi-seimbang-.html
- Pangkahila W. Anti aging medicine tetap muda & sehat. Jakarta: PT Kompas Media Nusantara; 2019.
- Grenov B, Michaelsen KF. Growth components of cow’s milk: emphasis on effects in undernourished children. Food Nutr Bull. 2018;39(2_suppl):S45–53. DOI: 10.1177/0379572118772766
- Michaelsen KF, Nielsen A-LH, Roos N, et al. Cow’s milk in treatment of moderate and severe undernutrition in low-income countries. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program. 2011;67:99–111. DOI: 10.1159/000325578
- Boulpaep EBW. Medical physiology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2017. 1111–1112 p.
- Brown LM, Clegg DJ. Central effects of estradiol in the regulation of food intake, body weight, and adiposity. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;122(1–3):65–73. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2009.12.005
- Hall J. Guyton & Hall textbook of medical physiology. 14th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2020.
- Clinic M. Precocious puberty [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 Jun 6]. Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/precocious-puberty/symptoms-causes/syc-20351811
- Miranda AM. Ovary anatomy [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2020 Jun 12]. Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1949171-overview