Main Article Content
Background: Photoaging increases MMP-1 and damage collagen by forming ROS. The antioxidant compounds in Clitoria ternatea L. have been studied to lower ROS, thus inhibiting the emergence of MMP-1 and preserving the collagen. The study initiated to analyze the Clitoria ternatea L. extract cream 5% effect on inhibiting MMP-1 increase and collagen decrease in female Wistar rat's skin exposed to UV-B.
Methods: A randomized post-test-only control group design was conducted on 30 female Wistar rats, aged 8-10 weeks old with 130-150 grams bodyweight. They were assigned to three groups: the untreated group, placebo group, and the Clitoria ternatea L. extract cream 5% group. The last two groups were exposed to UV-B. After four weeks their skin was examined for MMP-1 levels using ELISA and collagen amount using Picro Sirius Red staining.
Results: A comparative analysis showed that the lowest mean levels of MMP-1 was seen in the untreated group (4.64 ± 0.14 ng/ml), followed by the Clitoria ternatea L. extract cream group 5% (5.54 ± 0.21 ng/ml) and placebo group (8.68 ± 0.78 ng/ml). The highest mean of collagen amount was seen in the Clitoria ternatea L. extract cream group 5% (76.12 ± 5.09 %pixel), followed by the untreated group (69.38 ± 3.96 %pixel) and placebo group (30.31±8.06 %pixel). The comparative analysis shows a significant difference between groups (p < 0.05).
Conclusion: The Clitoria ternatea L. extract cream 5% has proven to inhibited the increase of MMP-1 levels and decrease of collagen amount in Wistar rats skin exposed to UV-B.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Kammeyer A, Luiten RM. Oxidation events and skin aging. Ageing Res Rev. 2015;21:16–29. DOI: 10.1016/j.arr.2015.01.001
- Addor FAS. Antioxidants in dermatology. An Bras Dermatol. 2017;92:356–62. DOI: 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20175697
- Bjørklund G, Chirumbolo S. Role of oxidative stress and antioxidants in daily nutrition and human health. Nutrition. 2017;33:311–21. DOI: 10.1016/j.nut.2016.07.018
- Cahyaningsih E, Yuda PESK, Santoso P. Skrining fitokimia dan uji aktivitas antioksidan ekstrak etanol bunga telang (Clitoria ternatea L.) dengan metode spektrofotometri uv-Vis. J Ilm Medicam. 2019;5:51–7. DOI: 10.36733/medicamento.v5i1.851
- Karak P. Biological activities of flavonoids: An overview. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2019;10:1567–74. DOI: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.10(4).1567-74
- Kaurinovic B, Vastag D. Flavonoids and phenolic acids as potential natural antioxidants. Antioxidants, IntechOpen London, UK. 2019;1–20. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.83731
- Daré RG, Nakamura CV, Ximenes VF, et al. Tannic acid, a promising anti-photoaging agent: Evidences of its antioxidant and anti-wrinkle potentials, and its ability to prevent photodamage and MMP-1 expression in L929 fibroblasts exposed to UVB. Free Radic Biol Med. 2020;160:342–55. DOI: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2020.08.019
- Tena N, Martín J, Asuero AG. State of the art of anthocyanins: Antioxidant activity, sources, bioavailability, and therapeutic effect in human health. Antioxidants. 2020;9:451. DOI: 10.3390/antiox9050451
- Zingare ML, Zingare PL, Dubey AK, et al. Clitoria ternatea (Aparajita): A review of the antioxidant, antidiabetic and hepatoprotective potentials. Int J Pharm Biol Sci. 2013;3(1):203–213.
- Puspitasari D, Pratimasari D, Andriani D. Penentuan nilai SPF (sun protective factor) krim ekstrak etanol bunga telang (Clitoria ternatea) secara in vitro menggunakan metode spektrofotometri. J Insan Farm Indones. 2019;2(1):118–125.
- Pittayapruek P, Meephansan J, Prapapan O, et al. Role of matrix metalloproteinases in photoaging and photocarcinogenesis. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:868. DOI: 10.3390/ijms17060868
- Pandel R, Poljsak B, Godic A, et al. Skin photoaging and the role of antioxidants in its prevention. ISRN Dermatology. 2013;11:930164. DOI: 10.1155/2013/930164
- Fisher GJ, Quan T, Purohit T, et al. Collagen fragmentation promotes oxidative stress and elevates matrix metalloproteinase-1 in fibroblasts in aged human skin. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:101–14. DOI: 10.2353/ajpath.2009.080599
- Duarte J, Francisco V, Perez-Vizcaino F. Modulation of nitric oxide by flavonoids. Food Funct. 2014;5:1653–68. DOI: 10.1039/c4fo00144c
- Wiraguna AAGP, Dianasari R, Pangkahila W. The topical skin application of purple corn extract (Zea mays) inhibited the increase in MMP-1 levels and decreased collagen in wistar rats (Rattus norvegicus) exposed to UV-B rays. Biomed Pharmacol J. 2019;35:297–304. DOI: 10.13005/bpj/1641