Main Article Content
Background: Skin aging in menopause women was due to fewer collagen numbers in cells and antioxidants are necessary for inhibiting the process of skin aging due to oxidative stress. Red dragon fruits which plant in Indonesia was known to have a high concentration of antioxidants. This study aimed to assess the ethanol extract of red dragon fruit skin effects on the number of collagens on the skin of female Wistar rats which has been ovariectomized.
Methods: This experimental research was a post-test only control group design that was conducted on 30 female Wistar rats. Groups were divided into control (P0), 5% ethanol extract (P1), and 15% ethanol extract concentrations (P2). The dosage was given orally to the 30 female rats and left for observation for 30 days. The number of collagens was observed and calculated on visual evaluation of the skin biopsy under a light microscope.
Results: The result showed a significant difference between treatment groups and control (p<0.05). The number of collagen are higher in P2 (83.03 ±4.84) and P1 (77.26 ±5.06) than P0 (57.73 ±5.04).
Conclusion: Ethanol extract of red dragon fruit skin could increase the number of collagen in rat skin.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Palacios S, Henderson VW, Siseles N, et al. Age of menopause and impact of climacteric symptoms by geographical regio. Journal Climacteric. 2010; 13(5), 419-428. DOI: 10.3109/13697137.2010.507886.
- Thronton M J. Estrogens and aging skin. Journal Dermato-Endocrinology. 2013; 5(2), 264-270. DOI: 10.4161/derm.23872.
- Varani J, Dame M K, Rittie L, et al. Decreased collagen production in chronologically aged skin: roles of age dependent alteration in fibroblast function and defective mechanical stimulation. The American Journal of Pathology. 2006; 168(6), 1861-1868. DOI: 10.2353/ajpath.2006.051302.
- Saimin J, Hendarto H, Soetjipto S The effect of tomato juice on the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) and type-1 collagen on the vaginal wall of the menopausal rats. Bali Medical Journal. 2019; 8(3). DOI: 10.15562/bmj.v8i3.1277.
- Yuwono J, Sugiritama W I, Mayun G, Sumadi W. “Efek pemberian ekstrak ethanol ubi jalar ungu (Ipomoea batatas L) terhadap ketebalan dan diferensiasi sel epitel vagina tikus betina yang mengalami ovariektomi di Laboratorium Histologi Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Udayana periode Oktober-Desember 2017”. E-Jurnal Medika Udayana. 2018; 7(5), 203-210.
- Khoo H E, Azlan A, Tang S T, Lim S M. Anthocyanidins and anthocyanins: colored pigments as food, pharmaceutical ingredients, and the potential health benefits. Journal of Food & Nutrition Research. 610. doi: 10.1080/16546628.2017.1361779.
- Vijayakumar R, Gani SSA, Zaidan UH, Halmi MIE. Optimization of the Antioxidant Potentials of Red Pitaya Peels and Its In Vitro Skin Whitening Properties. Molecular Diversity Preservation International Journal. 2018; 8(9), 1516. DOI: 10.3390/app8091516.
- Nanashima N, Horie K, Maeda H, Tomisawa T, Kitajima M, Nakamura T. The blackcurrant anthocyanins in increasing level of collagens, elastin and hyaluronic acid in human skin fibroblast and ovariectomized rats. Journal of Department of Bioscience and Laboratory Medicine. 2018; 10(32), 345-375. DOI: 10.3390/molecules23010074.
- Tahir T, Bakri S, Pattelongi I, Aman M, Upik A. Evaluation of Topical Red Dragon Fruit Extract Effect (Hylocereus Polyrhizus) on Tissue Granulation and Epithelialization in Diabetes Mellitus (DM) and Non-DM Wistar Rats: Pre Eliminary Study. International Journal of Science. 2017; 4531, 309-320, ISSN 2307-4531.
- Li J, Wu T, Li N, et al. Bilberry anthocyanin improves the serum cholesterol in aging perimenopausal rats via the estrogen receptor signalling pathway. Journal of Food and Research. 2019; 10(1), 3430. DOI: 10.1039/C9FO00639G.
- Ullah R, Khan M, Shah S A, Saeed K, Kim M O. Natural Antioxidant Anthocyanins-A Hidden Therapeutic Candidate in Metabolic Disorders with Major Focus in Neurodegeneration. Molecular Diversity Preservation International Journal. 2019; 11(6), 1195. DOI: 10.3390/nu11061195.
- McKleroy W, Lee T H, Atabai K. Targeting Collagen Degradation to Treat Tissue Fibrosis. American Journal of Physiology Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology. 2013; 304(11), 709-721. DOI: 10.1152/ajplung.00418.2012.
- Suzanne E G, James F, Subhash V, et al. Collagen Degradation in Aged/Photodamaged Skin In Vivo and After Exposure to Matrix Metalloproteinase-1 In Vitro. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2003; 120(5), 842-848. DOI: 10.1046/j.1523-1747.2003.12148.x.