Main Article Content
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women and is the most significant cause of morbidity and mortality in women cancer patients. Increased awareness of people followed by periodic screening, appropriate supporting examinations, and imaging modalities according to the patient's condition could improve prognosis.
We report a case report of a 55-year-old woman with a complaint of a lump in the right breast. Ultrasound examination and mammography showed a single solid lesion in the superior quadrant of the right breast corresponding to Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS) 4c. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) examination revealed a single lesion with enhancement curve type 1 according to bi-rads 4b. Results of the biopsy were grade 2 breast carcinoma without any lymph node metastases.
The use of a single modality cannot be used as a benchmark in determining the best diagnosis and therapy. The kinetic feature/enhancement curve of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI (DCE-MRI) cannot be used as the main guide for determining the diagnosis. The morphology of the lesion either from ultrasound, mammography, or MRI should also be considered in determining the diagnosis and treatment plan.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Elwakeel A, Omar S and Bayoumy A. Role of magnetic resonance imaging in differentiation of benign and malignant breast lesions. Menoufia Medical Journal. 2018; 31: 502-507. DOI: 10.4103/mmj.mmj_623_16
- Momenimovahed Z, Salehiniya H. Epidemiological characteristics of and risk factors for breast cancer in the world. Breast Cancer: Targets and Therapy. 2019; 11:151-164. DOI: 10.2147/BCTT.S176070
- Millet I, Pages E, Hoa D, Merigeaud S, Curros Doyon F, Prat X et al. Pearls and pitfalls in breast MRI. The British Journal of Radiology. 2012;85(1011):197-207. DOI: 10.1259/bjr/47213729
- Radhakrishna S, Agarwal S, Parikh P, Kaur K, Panwar S, Sharma S et al. Role of magnetic resonance imaging in breast cancer management. South Asian Journal of Cancer. 2018;7(2):69. DOI: 10.4103/sajc.sajc_104_18
- Lee C, Dershaw D, Kopans D, Evans P, Monsees B, Monticciolo D et al. Breast Cancer Screening With Imaging: Recommendations From the Society of Breast Imaging and the ACR on the Use of Mammography, Breast MRI, Breast Ultrasound, and Other Technologies for the Detection of Clinically Occult Breast Cancer. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2010;7(1):18-27. DOI: 10.1016/j.jacr.2009.09.022
- Gokhale S. Ultrasound characterization of breast masses. Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging. 2009;19(3):242. DOI: 10.4103/0971-3026.54878
- Raza S, Goldkamp A, Chikarmane S, Birdwell R. US of Breast Masses Categorized as BI-RADS 3, 4, and 5: Pictorial Review of Factors Influencing Clinical Management. RadioGraphics. 2010;30(5):1199-1213.
- Thulkar S, Hari S. Present Role of Mammography/Digital Mammography in Breast Cancer Management. PET Clinics. 2009;4(3):213-225. DOI: 10.1016/j.cpet.2009.09.006
- Ghazala S, Elgohary M, Zidan D, Yaftah M. Characterization of Suspicious Breast Lesions with Dynamic Contrast enhanced MRI In comparison to Conventional mammography and Ultrasonography. J Cancer Prev Curr Res. 2016;4(3): 00121. DOI: 10.15406/jcpcr.2016.04.00121
- Wernli K, DeMartini W, Ichikawa L, Lehman C, Onega T, Kerlikowske K et al. Patterns of Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging Use in Community Practice. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014;174(1):125. DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.11963
- Agrawal G, Su M, Nalcioglu O, Feig S, Chen J. Significance of breast lesion descriptors in the ACR BI-RADS MRI lexicon. Cancer. 2009;115(7):1363-1380. DOI: 10.1002/cncr.24156
- Mann R, Cho N, Moy L. Breast MRI: State of the Art. Radiology. 2019;292(3):520-536. DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2019182947
- Youssef M, Elahwal H, Alwageeh M, Attya S. Role of MRI in differentiating benign from malignant breast lesions using dynamic contrast enhanced MRI and diffusion weighted MRI. Alexandria Journal of Medicine. 2018;54(1):1-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajme.2016.12.008
- Abe H, Mori N, Tsuchiya K, Schacht D, Pineda F, Jiang Y et al. Kinetic Analysis of Benign and Malignant Breast Lesions With Ultrafast Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI: Comparison With Standard Kinetic Assessment. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2016;207(5):1159-1166. DOI: 10.2214/AJR.15.15957
- Cheng L, Li X. Breast magnetic resonance imaging : kinetic curve assesment. Gland Surgery. 2013;2(1):50-53. DOI: 10.3978/j.issn.2227-684X.2013.02.04
- Leithner D, Wengert G, Helbich T, Thakur S, Ochoa-Albiztegui R, Morris E et al. Clinical role of breast MRI now and going forward. Clinical Radiology. 2018;73(8):700-714. DOI: 10.1016/j.crad.2017.10.021.
- Safarpour Lima Z, Ebadi M, Amjad G, Younesi L. Application of Imaging Technologies in Breast Cancer Detection: A Review Article. Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2019;7(5):838-848. DOI: 10.3889/oamjms.2019.171