Main Article Content
Background: Exposure to cigarette smoke increased the level of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and caused oxidative stress which could lead to early aging includes vascular aging. Morel berry leaf contained flavonoid works as antioxidant that neutralized ROS. This study aimed to investigate effectivenes of Morel berry (Physalis angulata L.) leaf extract to decrease levels of ROS and increase levels of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) in male Wistar rats exposed to cigarette smoke.
Method: This research was an experimental study with pre test-post test control group design. 16 healthy male rats (Rattus norvegicus), Wistar strain, 3-4 months, weight 180-200gr were used, divided randomly into two groups. The control group was given aquadest and the treatment group was given Morel berry leaf extract 500 mg/kgBW/day. Continued to 30 minutes exposed to cigarette smoke. ROS and eNOS levels were measured before and after 28 days treatment, using rat ROS ELISA Kit and rat ENOS ELISA Kit respectively.
Results: The results showed that the mean ROS levels in the treatment group decreased significantly and was significantly lower than in control group (75.789 + 3.298 vs 91.646 + 1.970; p < 0.001). The mean eNOS levels in the treatment group increased significantly and was significantly higher than control group (8.597 + 0.375 vs 5.957 + 0.329; p < 0.001).
Conclusion: The results of this study indicated that administration of Morel berry leaf extract reduced levels of ROS and increased serum levels of eNOS in male Wistar rats exposed to cigarette smoke.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Tirtosastro S, Murdiyati AS. Kandungan kimia tembakau dan rokok. Buletin Tanaman Tembakau, Serat dan Minyak Industri. 2017;2(1):33–44. DOI: 10.21082/bultas.v2n1.2010.33-44
- Messner B, Bernhard D. Smoking and cardiovascular disease: Mechanism of endothelial dysfunction and early atherogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014;34(3):509-515. DOI: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.113.300156
- Forte A, Conti V, Damanto A, et al. Targeting nitric oxide with natural derived compounds as a therapeutic strategy in vascular diseases. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2016;2016:7364138. DOI: 10.1155/2016/7364138
- Higashi Y, Kihara Y, Noma K. Endothelial dysfunction and hypertension in aging. Hypertension Research. 2012;35(11):1039-1047. DOI: 10.1038/hr.2012.138
- Augustine AA, Ufuoma O. Flavonoids from the leaves Physalis angulata Linn. Planta Med. 2013;79:PJ5. DOI: 10.1055/s-0033-1352209
- Zeka K, Ruparelia K, Arroo R, et al. Flavonoids and their metabolites: Prevention in cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Diseases. 2017;5(3):19. DOI: 10.3390/diseases5030019
- Khoo NKH, White CR, Pozzomiller L, et al. Dietary flavonoid quercetin stimulates vasorelaxation in aortic vessels. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2010;49(3):339-447. DOI: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2010.04.022
- Debiasista IM. Pemberian ekstrak daun ciplukan (Physalis angulata L.) menghambat penurunan superoxide dismutase (SOD) dan peningkatan malondialdehyde (MDA) serum pada tikus (Rattus norvegicus) Wistar jantan yang diberi paparan asap rokok [Thesis]. Denpasar: Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Udayana. 2019.
- Surya BR. Pemberian ekstrak etanol buah buni (Antidesma bunius L.) menurunkan kadar Malonialdehyde (MDA) dan mempertahankan kadar endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) serum tikus (Rattus norvegicus) galur Wistar jantan yang dipapar asap rokok [Thesis]. Denpasar: Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Udayana. 2020.
- Huang T, Zhou F, Yuan X, et al. Reactive oxygen species are involved in the development of gastric cancer and gastric cancer-related depression through ABL-1 mediated inflammation signaling pathway. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2019;2019:5813985. DOI: 10.1155/2019/5813985
- Akhlaghi M, Brian B. Mechanism of flavonoid protection against myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology. 2009;46(3):309-317. DOI: 10.1016/j.yjmcc.2008.12.003
- Förstermann U, Li H. Therapeutic effect of enhancing endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and preventing eNOS uncoupling. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2011;164:213–223. DOI: 10.1111/j.1476-5381.2010.01196.x
- Febianti Z, Permatasari N, Soeharto S. Vasoprotective effect of Physalis angulata L. leaf water extract on kidney of ni©-nitro-l-arginine methyl ester-induced endothelial dysfunction rat model. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2019;12(1):432. DOI: 10.22159/ajpcr.2019.v12i1.29857