Main Article Content
Background: Acute appendicitis (AA) is the most common cause of gastrointestinal emergency surgery worldwide. However, to confirm the diagnosis of acute appendicitis, it is largely dependent on clinical judgment, causing the rate of negative appendectomy or misdiagnosis reach 20 – 40%. Several scoring systems have been developed to identify patients who did not require surgery, thereby reducing the burden of negative appendectomy.
Methods This study is a cross-sectional observational study with diagnostic tests. The study was conducted at the Surgical Department of Sanglah Hospital, Denpasar from January 1st, 2020 to December 31st, 2020. All patients enrolled in this study were calculated with Alvarado, Tzanakis, and RIPASA scores to determine the need for appendectomy. In patients undergoing surgery, the diagnosis of AA was confirmed by histopathological examination. Descriptive analysis, receiver operating characteristics (ROC) analysis, and diagnostic tests were used to assess the effectiveness of the three scoring systems.
Results: The total respondents in this study who met the inclusion and exclusion criteria were 103 people. This study found that acute appendicitis was more common in male patients with a mean age of 28.26 years. The RIPASA scoring system has better sensitivity and accuracy than the Alvarado and Tzanakis scores, so it is recommended to use the RIPASA score as a diagnosis of acute appendicitis. However, if an ultrasound facility is available, the Tzanakis score can be used.
Conclusion: RIPASA score is the best score to diagnose acute appendicitis.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Alnjadat I, Abdallah B. Alvarado versus RIPASA score in diagnosing acute appendicitis. Rawal Med J. 2013;38(2):147–52. Available on: http://www.rmj.org.pk/?mno=28231
- Babu K, Savitha S. A study on acute appendicitis in a tertiary care hospital in Tamil Nadu, India. Int Surg J. 2017;4(3):929–31. DOI: 10.18203/2349-2902.isj20170530
- Noh H, Chang S, Han A. The diagnostic value of preoperative laboratory markers in children with complicated appendicitis. J Korean Surg Soc. 2012;83:237–41. DOI: 10.4174/jkss.2012.83.4.237
- Malik A. Modified Alvarado score versus Tzanakis score for diagnosing acute appendicitis in changing clinical practice. Int J Clin Exp Med Sci. 2016;2(5):90–3. DOI: 10.11648/j.ijcems.20160205.13
- Baresti SW, Rahmanto T. Sistem skoring baru untuk mendiagnosis apendisistis akut. Majority. 2017;6(3):169–74.
- Walczak D, Pawelczak D. The value of scoring systems for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Pol Przegl Chir. 2015;87(2):65–70. DOI: 10.1515/pjs-2015-0021
- Malla B, Batajoo H. Comparison of Tzanakis score vs Alvarado score in the effective diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Kathmandu Univ Med. 2014;45(1):4850. DOI: 10.3126/kumj.v12i1.13638
- Kumar S, Nagaraja A, Srinivasalah M. Evaluation of Tzanakis scoring system in acute appendicitis: A prospective study. Int Surg J. 2017;4(10):3338–43. DOI: 10.18203/2349-2902.isj20174173
- Dharmarajan S, Arvindraj R. A study comparing modified Alvarado score and Tzanakis score for diagnosing acute appendicitis. IAIM. 2019;6(5):137–41. Available on: https://iaimjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/iaim_2019_0605_24.pdf
- Shuaib A, Shuaib A, Fakhra Z, et al. Evaluation of modified Alvarado scoring system and RIPASA scoring system as diagnostic tools of acute appendicitis. World J Emerg Med. 2017;8(4):276. DOI: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2017.04.005
- Arifudin A, Salmawati L, Prasetyo A. Faktor risiko kejadian apendisitis di bagian rawat inap Rumah Sakit Umum Anutapura Palu. Jurnal Kesehatan Masyarakat. 2017;8(1):1-58. Available on: http://jurnal.untad.ac.id/jurnal/index.php/Preventif/article/view/8344
- Chong CF, Thien A, Mackie AJ, et al. Comparison of RIPASA and Alvarado scores for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Singapore Med J. 2011;52(5):340–4.
- Pakpahan II, Rivai MI, Indrati L, et al. Perbandingan akurasi skor Tzanakis dengan skor Alvarado dalam penegakan diagnosis apendisitis akut di RSUP Dr. M Djamil Padang dan Semen Padang Hospital. J Univ Andalas. 2018;20:60–7.
- Pinto F, Pinto A, Russo A. Accuracy of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in adult patients. J Crit Ultrasound. 2013;5(1):2–5. DOI: 10.1186/2036-7902-5-S1-S2
- Butt MQ, Chata SS, Ghumman AQ, et al. RIPASA score: A new diagnostic score for diagnosis of acute appendicitis. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2014;24(12):894-7.
- Malik C, Awan F, Pretorius F. The RIPASA score is sensitive and specific for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in a Western population. J Int Color Dis. 2016;32(4):491–7. DOI: 10.1007/s00384-016-2713-4
- Rahmanto T. Perbandingan RIPASA dan Alvarado score dalam ketepatan diagnosis apendisitis akut di RSUP Dr Sardjito, Yogyakarta Periode Januari 2012 – November 2013. Universitas Gajah Mada; 2014 [Thesis].
- Wijaya IKP, Setiawan J, Djuartina T. Perbandingan sensitivitas dan spesifisitas skor ripasa dan skor alvarado dalam mendiagnosis apendisitis akut di Rumah Sakit Atma Jaya. Universitas Katolik Indonesia Atma Jaya; 2015 [Thesis].
- Regar M, Choudary G, Nogla C. Comparison of Alvarado and RIPASA scoring systems in diagnosis of acute appendicitis and correlation with intraoperative and histopathological findings. J Int Surg. 2017;4(1):1755–61. DOI: 10.18203/2349-2902.isj20171634
- Abouzeid A, Sayed Z, Fouda S. Comparison between the Alvarado score and RIPASA score for diagnosis of acute appendicitis in patients attending to Emergency Departmentin Suez Canal University Hospital. Int J Surg Med. 2020;6(1):22–7. DOI: 10.5455/ijsm.Alvarado-versus-ripasa-diagnosis-acute-appendicitis
- Khadda S, Yadav A, Ali A. Clinical study to evaluate the Ripasa scoring system in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Am J Adv Med Surg Res. 2015;1(2):67–73.