Main Article Content
Cervical synovial cysts (SC), however uncommon, can cause radiculopathy and myelopathy. In this study, we report a case of a cervical synovial cyst presented as myelopathy. A 48-year-old man presented with gait disturbance decreased touch senses and increased sensitivity to pain below the C5 level. Magnetic resonance imaging revealed a 0.3-mm, bilateral mirror-like small cystic lesion in the spinal canal with cord compression at the C5-6 level. We performed a bilateral expansive laminoplasty of C5 using a posterior approach and completely removed the cystic mass. Histological examination of the resected mass revealed fibrous tissue fragments with amorphous materials and granulation tissue compatible with a synovial cyst. The patient’s symptoms resolved within 3 months after surgery.
Although cervical SC is often associated with degenerative facet joints, clinicians must be aware that SC may lead to neurological deficits.
- Kim TH, Kim MS, Park ES, et al. Hemorrhagic Synovial Cyst in the Cervical Spine: A Case Report and Review of Literature. The Nerve. 2017;3(2):75-7. DOI: 10.21129/nerve.2017.3.2.75
- Kim DS, Yang JS, Cho YJ, et al. Acute Myelopathy Caused by a Cervical Synovial Cyst. J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2014;56(1):55-7. DOI: 10.3340/jkns.2014.56.1.55
- Breckwoldta T, Oktenoglub T, Sasanib M, et al. A rare cause of root-compression: Subaxial cervical synovial cyst in association with congenital fusion. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. 2015;16:90–2. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijscr.2015.09.015
- Costa F, Menghetti C, Cardia A, et al. Cervical synovial cyst: case report and review of literature. Eur Spine J. 2010;19(2):S100–2. DOI: 10.1007/s00586-009-1094-6
- Bisson EF, Sauri-Barraza JC, Niazi T, et al. Synovial cysts of the cervicothoracic junction causing myelopathy: report of 3 cases and review of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2013;35(1):E3. DOI: 10.3171/2013.3.FOCUS1385
- Corredor JA, Quan G. Cervical Synovial Cyst Causing Cervical Radiculomyelopathy: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Global Spine J. 2015;5:e34–8. DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1396758
- Found E, Bewyer D. Cervical Synovial Cyst: case report. Iowa Orthop J. 2011; 31: 215–8. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215138/
- Linhares D, Lobo J, Pinto R, et al. Atypical presentation of a cervical synovial cyst. European Spine Journal. 2017;26(9):2267–71. DOI: 10.1007/s00586-017-4947-4
- Tomecek FJ, Sapp M. A Rare Case of C8 Radiculopathy Due to Cervical Spine Synovial Cyst. Orthop Res Traumatol Open J. 2016;1(1):1-4. DOI: 10.17140/ORTOJ-1-101.
- Kim J, Choi JG, Son BC. Bilateral Ganglion Cysts of the Ligamentum Flavum in the Cervical Spine Causing a Progressive Cervical Radiculomyelopathy and Literature Review. Case Reports in Neurological Medicine. 2017;v:1-5. DOI: 10.1155/2017/3953641